- What's it like? What is attendant care really like? People in your home . . .
- I wasn't expecting this It's a shock, the accident, all these people coming into our house
- Expectations- - - reality Constantly adjusting, changing and managing my expectations
- My house needs modification We needed a ramp, bathroom modifications . . .
- My home - - - a workplace The challenges of my home being a workplace
- My worker - - - a professional Relating with professional workers
- We are all working to achieve goals Working as a team to achieve goals
- We are still grieving I am still grieving and so are my family
- My worker needs training Typical training includes . . .
- Everyone is affected Everyone, family and friends are all affected.
- My cultural background is . . . There are cultural differences & workers need to be culturally competent
- I live in a rural area There are some unique benefits and challenges in rural areas
- My family is. . . My family is messy and complicated and that impacts on attendant care
- My service provider is. . . My service provider isn't working out
- My case manager. . . My case manager gets all the pieces to work together
What's it like?
What's the experience of attendant care really like? When things go well?
What is attendant care like?
The shock of having people coming into your home.
Your home a workplace.
You are still grieving.
Everyone is effected . . . .
Emma (right) has a brain injury.
Cherie (left) is one of her community support workers.