- Acquired Brain Injury An introduction for people new to brain injury
- What is acquired brain injury? Understanding the essence of acquired brain injury
- Causes of acquired brain injury The many possible causes of brain injury
- Injury, effects and impacts Injuries to the brain have effects in the brain that lead to impacts in people's lives
- Rehabilitation The rehabilitation process from injury to living in the community
- People with ABI People's experiences of having acquired brain injury
- Attendant care challenges Challenges for people with brain injury getting attendant care
Attendant care challenges
Attendant care challenges include:
- Finding a service provider that understands acquired brain injury.
- Getting the right attendant carers.
- Getting any home modifications that are required before the person with the ABI can come home
- Dealing with the shock of having attendant carers coming into your home.
- Dealing with the impacts of the ABI on the person with ABI, other family members and friends.
- Keeping boundaries professional. Attendant carers are professional workers not friends or members of the family.
- Keeping focussed on goals. Ensuring that all the attendant care work is goal directed.
- Dealing with problems as they arise.
Suggestions for dealing with these challenges are in Getting Attendant Care Right